Email List Building
Email list building is not as straightforward as it seems. However, building a high-quality list really is priceless. It is an excellent way to market your business, products, and services. And it is a cost-effective solution for web marketing. Therefore, you should learn what, when, why, and how to build an email list.
What Is It?
An email list is an electronic mailing list. They are used to email information over the internet to a large group of people at once. It can be compared to mailing out hundreds or thousands of flyer advertisements using a Postal Service. You can imagine how quickly mailing out hundreds of flyers would increase your cost of doing business. Now image accomplishing the same thing at no cost or at an extremely small cost to you. As you can see, email list building is like a traditional mailing list. However, email list building requires a name and an email address, not a street address.
When to Start?
It can take time to build an email list. Therefore, start email list building immediately. Even if you do not know what to do with the email list yet, start collecting high-quality email addresses. Because there are benefits to being somewhat selective. Determine your target market demographic and attempt to stick with it. Make it a goal not to collect just any email address for the sake of growing your list. Make it count! Think about whether or not the individual is a good potential customer for the products or services that you offer. You can even create a mini survey to help determine if the person is a good potential customer.
You should start email list building because it is a very cost-effective marketing tool! There are even some free email campaign marketing service providers available. By putting the email marketing tool to use, you can easily market your business, products, and services to your email list routinely. Once you get a list started, you can start your email marketing campaigns. Email marketing increases traffic to your website. So, by all means, do not wait until you have hundreds of subscribers. Before you get one email, you can start preparing what to email them. The campaign itself will require a strategy.
However, there are a few words of caution.
First, remember that people can unsubscribe! This is not the goal. Therefore, you must determine how often is often enough. Secondly, make the advertisement about them, not you. This may sound like a misstatement, but it is not. Yes, the advertisement must be to benefit them first and you second. If the customer cannot perceive the value of your business, products, or services you will not receive the benefit of having them as a customer. When marketing, always think – What is in it for them? Then put yourself in their shoes and honestly decide if you would buy what you are selling. If yes, great! If not, go back to the drawing board. Therefore, the third point is to have a strategy.
How to Build?
Building an email list requires marketing as well. You must network market in multiple ways to get the business you need. For example, you can collect email addresses on a sign-up sheet at your business location. In addition, encourage website visitors to sign-up using a subscribe box. The subscribe box must be linked to an email marketing service provider. These are basic ways to start email list building. However, you will discover that some creativity is required to keep building your list.
- Add a subscribe box to your business website. This is the first step to online list building. You have to ask for and collect website visitors email addresses.
- Create a compelling call-to-action. Once they land on your website, get their attention! Let them know you want them there! Be creative in the way you invite them to subscribe.
- Give subscribers something in return. This compels them to action when the “call-to-action” does not.
- Cross-market to another person’s email list. In this way, both parties can get more subscribers and increase website traffic. Cross-market with multiple people and you can end up with a nice mix of subscribers.
- Use offline marketing techniques. Place printed flyers in a strategic location.This method can also increase website engagement, services, and sells.
- Network with other business owners. Word-of-mouth is still a good marketing tool. Collaborate with another business. However, you should investigate possible conflicts of interests.
- Use an email marketing service provider. You will not be able to manage emails properly without an email marketing service. Get organized from the start.
Having said that, this is a list of some of the best email marketing service providers. They are all reviewed in another blog post. Each has its own unique set of pros and cons. Nevertheless, they all have email list building software that can be linked to your website. The software collects and stores subscribers email addresses. Then, when you are ready, you can create your first email marketing campaign advertisement. They have templates and tools to help get your email campaign marketing started.
- Campaign Monitor
- Constant Contact
Some of the links above are affiliate links.